To close the wheel gaps and improve the ride quality, a lot of folks want to learn whether can you lower a Tesla Model Y or not.
You can lower a Tesla Model Y. You do this by adding low-height wheels or lowering springs. The process requires around 10 minutes to 1 hour based on the task’s difficulty.
How to lower the MY, what are the benefits of lowering the car, and other related queries – these are some of the things I’ll cover in this guide. Enjoy!
You Can Lower A Tesla Model Y In 2 Simple Ways!
Lowering the Tesla Model Y can be done in two techniques using either new wheels or lowering springs. Here are the details of each method:
Method #1: Change The Wheels
If you use wheels that are low in size, it would lower the Model Y. As a matter of fact, the Gemini wheels are 19″ while the Induction stands 20″ in size. Be sure to check the Model Y Gemini vs Induction wheels to understand the point better.
Based on this, if your car contains induction wheels, then change it to Gemini type that’ll help lower it to 1″ easily. Just ensure to change all the wheels to make the car stand in an even and level position.
Here’s how to do it yourself:
- Place 4 jacks near each wheel.
- Then, lift them so that you can remove the wheels.
- After that, grab a lug wrench or torque wrench and take out all the nuts from all the wheels.
- Next, install the new Gemini wheels on each side.
- Insert the nuts and then tighten them out to finish the process.
Note: If plan to put non-OEM wheels, then learn if Is it safe to put aftermarket wheels on Tesla or not.
Method #2: Add Model Y Lowering Springs
Another way how you can lower the car is by using the lowering springs. Before using it, you should ask yourself “how much lower a Model Y be”.
Even if you can lower the car to 1″ – 3″, it’s best to pick 1″ or 1.5″ to avoid damaging the ground clearance. Once you’ve confirmed the lowering height, get a Tesla Model Y lowering kit and then do the following steps:
- Place one jack under the car near a wheel. Then, detach the nuts using the lug wrench.
- Take out one wheel.
- Locate the suspension part.
- Then, find the center that contains an 18 mm nut outside. Then, insert the T4 or T5 Torx socket in the wrench to remove the nut.
- After that, remove the upper link by removing the big nut. Be sure to retain the ABS sensor line.
- Take out the 10 mm bolt that holds the hydraulic line for the caliper. This will help you to insert the lowering springs better.
- Next, detach the 21 mm nut on the bottom that holds the lower control arm to the strut.
- Press downward to remove the strut part.
- Then, take out the spring from the strut using the industrial tool. Be sure to remove all the nuts.
- Install the lowering spring on the strut upper section. Put on all the nuts and tighten them out.
- Use a spray wax on the spot to keep the strut looking good.
- Do the opposite steps of removal to fit it back to the spot.
- Reinstall all the parts including bolts, nuts, upper link, and so on.
- Attach the wheels and put on the nuts. Then, tighten them out using the lug wrench.
- Do the same thing on the other 3 wheels. Done!
Why Should You Lower A Tesla Model Y?
To get a lot of driving benefits, you might want to lower the Tesla Model Y. In case you don’t know the good sides, here are the details:
You can drive better by handling and cornering in the finest way by lowering the car. It also helps the car to get more stable and responsive on any ground.
Lowering the car will add the appearance to the Model Y. It also helps the car to look hostile and eye-catching which matches the trend.
Lessen The Center of Gravity
Decreasing the height from the Model Y helps the car to perform well on the road with less body roll or negative resistance. That way you can drive smoothly.
The car can advance its aerodynamics by cutting air drag after you lower the MY. It also lets you have the coolest driving experience.
Note: By doing so, you’ll need to sacrifice the Model Y ground clearance and ride comfort.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Does Model Y have adjustable height options?
No, the Tesla Model Y doesn’t contain adjustable height options which are known as ride settings. Tesla only offers adjustable height settings for Model X and S.
2. How much does it cost to lower a Tesla Model Y?
Whether can you lower Model Y Performance or Long Range, know that it will cost $385 – $5,000 at max. If you do it yourself, it can take less than $400 – $500.
3. How much lower is Tesla Model Y Performance & Long Range?
The Tesla Model Y Performance is 6.2″ (157 mm) lowered. On the other hand, the Long Range is 6.6″ (168 mm) lowered from the ground.
No matter whether can you lower a Tesla Model Y or not, know that using the lowering springs to the car can violate the warranty feature on the strut or suspension components.
Instead of that, you can lower the car by changing the wheels for a 1″ decrease. If this still doesn’t lower your car to reach the desired ride quality, then use the lowering springs.
It would be better if you get help from an expert technician. Or else, you can damage the part which will cost more in the future.
Keep Up The Good Work!