Recently, when I turn on the radio, no audio came through the speakers. This happened multiple times and finally, I know the right solution.
So, why is the Tesla radio not working? Well, the radio might have internal bugs, glitches, faulty FM tuners, or incomplete software updates. To fix these, just reset MCU, recalibrate the battery, replace the FM tuner, or complete the software update.
It’s pretty simple to fix the error once you are able to spot the causes. If you are interested to know the procedure of each fix, let me lift the veil!
Try These 4 fixes When Tesla Radio is Not Working
Depending on the error type, you can easily troubleshoot the Tesla radio to get back its solid performance. Here are some ways of fixing the radio issue:
Fix #1: Try Tuner Module to Reboot
Tesla radio not working after update is a common issue that occurs if the car isn’t able to deliver the next software update. It’s a kind of glitch that happens and fixes by itself after 2 – 3 days. If you want to speed up the process to get the recent update notification, do this:
- Get inside your car and locate the main screen.
- Go to Controls > Safety > Power Off bar. Again, click on Power Off.
- Through the Tesla app on your phone, open the front trunk.
- Get out of the car and use your hand to lift the car hood.
- Locate the battery compartment.
- Detach the hood storage unit or top panel part to reach the battery.
- Remove the first responder loop by detaching the plug to disable the high-voltage system.
- Unplug the ground connection (negative terminal) using a 10mm wrench. Be sure to place the negative terminal on a rag or cloth to avoid electrical contact.
- Let it sit there for 30 – 40 seconds.
- Insert the first responder loop into the right spot.
- Connect the negative terminal back to its place.
- Wait for 120 seconds.
- Insert hood storage or top panel unit.
- Close the frunk carefully.
- Check if it solves the issue or not.
Pro Tip: You can also try firing the car power down using the MCU screen. Let the car rest for 5 minutes and then turn it on to easily fix the bug.
Fix #2: Replace the Physical Tuner
The Tesla Model X radio not working issue mostly occur when the physical tuner of the radio has some issue. This also happens in Model Y, S, & 3 but it’s rare.
To solve the bug, you might need to locate the physical radio tuner which is placed above the right rear seat.
Remove all the parts if needed using suitable tools and reach the part. Then, detach the tuner and insert a new one.
Fix #3: Reset the Radio System
If your car loses the audio or sound while starting the radio, this indicates an internal issue that affects the unit to not output the noises. In that case, know how to reset radio on Tesla Model 3, X, Y, & S with the given instruction:
- Since the radio runs through the MCU (Media Control Unit), the reset of this unit is possible if using the steering wheel reboot trick.
- Hold the 2 scroll buttons on the steering wheel and press them for 9 – 10 seconds.
- You’ll see the screen goes all black. Wait for 25 – 30 seconds to see the colorful screen.
- Then, run the radio to see if the sound system works or not.
Fix #4: Update the Recent Software
Okay, the incomplete or wrongly updated software can cause the Tesla radio stations to run while not making a sound. The fixing is easy if you just update the available software on your Tesla and through the app.
- On your phone, click on the Tesla app.
- In the top front section, you’ll see the leftover updates.
- Hit on the Software Update bar.
- A pop-up prompt will be displayed on the screen with 2 options (No and Yes). Hit the Yes bar.
- It’ll now show ‘Preparing to Update’ with a loading sign then start the update.
- Wait for it to complete and during that time do not open the doors, windows, or run A/C in the Tesla.
- Then, get inside the car and access the touchscreen.
- Go to Controls > Software and locate the Update Available section. There you’ll find software that needs update with a yellow alarm sign.
- Just click on the Software Update after you turn on the Wi-Fi connection.
- Let it sit there to complete in a few minutes.
Turning On the Radio in Tesla – Make Sure You Are Doing It Right!
If it’s your first trial or maybe just want to know the direction, I’ll explain the procedure of turning the radio on in Tesla based on different series:
How To Turn on Radio in Tesla Model 3 & X?
- On the touchscreen, click on the ‘Music’ (orange icon) bar on the central screen.
- Now, locate the bar ‘Streaming’ in the front section. Click on it.
- Then, you’ll discover different kinds of options like Radio, Bluetooth, Streaming, Spotify, and so on. Hit on the Radio bar.
How To Turn on Radio in Tesla Model Y & S?
- On the touchscreen, click on the ‘Music’ icon.
- There you’ll find the Radio option and hit it. You’ll see playable stations like (92.0, 95.0, and so on).
- Click on any station and start listening to the radio.
Yes, it ruins the mood of driving if the Tesla radio not working while driving. Folks need to hear new things through FM/AM in order to boost multitasking while continuing the journey in daily life.
So, I hope this guide helps you to fix the irritating radio issues that happen to your car. And be sure to appoint Tesla Service Center if you can’t eventually solve the trouble.
In most cases, a usual reset will fix the bug.
That’s It for Today!