Due to impact or rough terrain, Tesla’s black rim can get silver by showing the scratches. It gets embarrassing when you take it outside as this gives a negative impression of lack of care.
The 2 ways how to fix scratched black Tesla rims are either using a protector tape or applying paint to touch up the rashes. To try one technique out of these, you’ll need tools and materials. So, prepare them before trying the procedure.
Don’t worry if you are clueless about the direction as this guide will answer it all. Keep On Reading To Find The Details!
Fix Scratched Black Tesla Rims In 2 Ways
You have only 2 options where one will be beneficial for a short-term fix, and another give a long-term fix.
Under this segment, I’ll explain exactly how do you fix Tesla curb rash aka the scratch in two ways. Let’s Go!
Method #1: Use Rim Protector Tape
For those who are busy but have to repair the scratched part of the black Tesla rims, you can try this technique. It’s a 15-minute job that needs less effort if you get reliable rim protector tape like RimSavers RimBlades.
Here’s the direction:
- Take a soft microfiber cloth and drop a few drops of rubbing alcohol.
- Use the cloth and rub the black rims of Tesla one after another.
- Apply the given promoter (white glue) around the edge of the rim.
- Let it sit for 5 minutes (do not leave it there for 20 minutes).
- Peel the sticker in the front area (around 1 inch) of the rim protector. Gently attach the glued part of the tape to the edge of the black rim. Keep on doing so and use pressure as you are going around the rim to attach the protector.
- As you reach the limit, simply take a pair of scissors or a utility knife to cut the leftover rim protector tape.
- Grab the super glue and drop 2 drops on the rear of the clip and simply attach it to the tape edge where you cut the tape previously to hide the imperfection.
- Do the same thing on other rims if they contain scratches.
- Do not touch the tire surface for cleaning or doing changes for 3 days so that the tape stays in the rim perfectly.
Note: The above technique is suitable for short-term fixes. You might need to change it after every 4 – 6 months.
Method #2: Paint the Scratched Rims
The best way to get rid of marks on the rim is possible with paint for a longer period of time. This might take around 30 minutes to 1 hour based on your DIY skill. Let me explain the procedure:
Step 1: Get All Necessary Tools & Materials
Starting with the initial stuff, you have to grab some essential tools and materials from the nearby store to continue the following steps. Here’s the list of needed equipment:
|Sandpaper (80, 120, & 220 grits)||Wax And Grease Remover|
|3M Painters Tape||Filler Primer|
|Microfiber Towel||Paint Protection Coat|
|Rubbing Alcohol (Isopropyl)||Gloss Black Paint|
Step 2: Clean The Surface With Isopropyl Alcohol
Fill a few drops of Isopropyl alcohol in the clean microfiber towel or tissue. Then, wipe the black rims of Tesla carefully so that everything clears out. Dry the surface for 5 – 10 seconds.
Step 3: Sand The Scratched Part
- Grab the 80-grit (coarse) sandpaper and gently scrub the rim in back-to-front motion without pressing hard. Try to sand on the rash area.
- Then, wipe out the dust using a tissue or rag.
- During this time, use 220-grit (fine) sandpaper to smoothen out the rim surface of the rash.
- Again, sand the same surface using 120-grit (medium) sandpaper.
- Wipe out the surface to remove the metal dust.
Step 4: Final Touch Ups
- Take the wax & grease remover and spray it on the rims. Massage the surface using a rag.
- No matter what type of wheels your tesla has, just ensure to cover the areas that you don’t want to paint with painter’s tape. In case you are interested, check the Tesla Gemini vs Induction wheels.
- Grab the primer spray and simply apply it to the rim. Let it stay there for 1 hour to dry naturally.
- Use black paint that refreshes the look like T Sportline touch-up paint. Shake it and gently spray it to make the whole rim in one shade.
- Wait for around 1 hour to dry it completely.
Step 5: Do The Same Thing On Other Rims
Lastly, you have to inspect into other 3 rims to find scratches to cover up. Then, do steps 2 – 4 on these rims to remove the rash in a better way.
After doing all of that, be sure to use the scratchproof coating solution to protect the paint for a longer period of time.
How Much Does It Cost To Repair A Scratched Tesla Rim?
The total cost for repairing the scratch on the Tesla rim will be diverse based on your technique. In short, the DIY method will cost less than the expert’s way.
Cost To Repair In Local Shop
A professional repair at a local auto shop or care service center will take around $100 – $250 per rim to fix the curb rashes. You also have to count the tax to reach the total cost.
|Tax + Material + Labor||Charges|
|Labor (reinstall tasks)||$20 – $50|
|Material (sand, paint, primer, and so on)||$100 – $250|
|Tax (6.25%)||$7.5 – $18.75|
|Total||$127.5 – $318.75|
Cost To Repair In DIY
If you are thinking of the DIY technique, half of the cost won’t be required since you’ll find the most items at home.
Still, it might take around $200 in total if you count both tools and materials.
|Tools + Materials||Charges|
|Wax & Grease Remover||$10 – $20|
|Filler Primer||$7 – $25|
|Black Paint||$12 – $20|
|Paint Protection||$20 – $25|
|Sandpaper (80, 120, & 220 grits)||$8 – $20|
|3M Painters Tape||$5 – $22|
|Microfiber Towel||$12 – $21|
|Rubbing Alcohol (Isopropyl)||$8 – $31|
|Total||$82 – $184|
Can Scratched Black Rims Be Repaired Fully In Tesla?
The answer depends on the level of damage that occurs on the black rims in Tesla. By changing the wheels or repairing the rims via an expert, it might be possible to fix the scratches fully.
Learn here if you are wondering whether can I put aftermarket wheels on my Tesla or not.
However, the DIY repair won’t be enough for long-term use since everything loses its value as you use it. And, this won’t repair the scratch fully.
Having to deal with scratches that ruin the visual aspect of the car is something no one like. The above technique should be enough for you to get rid of the ugly look just be sure to turn your Tesla off beforehand.
Hope you now know how to fix scratched black Tesla rims and find this guide handy. Go, Give It A Try!