Tesla mirror issues mostly occur due to system errors, water leaks, grime/corrode buildup on the mechanism, pending software updates, broken wire, or bad fuse.
For Tesla mirror troubleshooting, you’ll need to reset the car, replace the unit, lubricate the mechanism, install the software, repair the wire, or change the fuse.
Don’t worry if it seems puzzling. In this guide, I’ll explain this in detail and show the process of mirror replacement. Stay Tuned!
Tesla Mirror Troubleshooting Procedure!
After you adjust mirrors in Tesla, it can show weird behavior by not folding or working. You’ll need to find the reasons behind it and then solving the issue will become easier. Based on the causes, let me show you how to fix Tesla mirror errors:
Reason #1: System Failure
Usually, Tesla folds mirrors on lock state but sometimes the mirror doesn’t work even if you drive on a saved location. It mostly occurs due to internal system malfunction which causes the car not to detect the command. If the Tesla mirrors not unfolding, reset the car to fix the error.
How To Fix:
- Power Off – Click on Controls > Safety > Power Off. After 2 minutes, touch any part to wake up the car.
- Hard Reset – Open the frunk of Tesla using the Tesla app and then remove all the trims. Then, disconnect the 12V battery ground wire (negative pin) and high-voltage loop plug for 5 – 6 minutes. After that, reinsert all the parts.
- Factory Reset – Hit the Controls > Service > Factory Reset option. Next, enter your email address and password then click on Confirm bar. Then, hit on the Reset option and wait for 20 – 30 seconds. Lastly, check whether the mirrors work or not.
Reason #2: Water Leak Into The Mirror Components
When Tesla mirrors won’t unfold or fold, it indicates the unit is stuck. This thing usually happens in cold or rainy weather as the water leak into the mirror mechanism and cause it to not operate. In that case, you’ll need expert help to solve the issue.
How To Fix:
Just call the Tesla Service Center and tell them about your issue. Then, they will inspect your car’s mirror deeply and explain the cause. After that, the TSC team will replace the mirror. FYI, you’ll need to pay some bucks for this service.
Reason #3: Dirt/Rust On The Mirror Components
If your Tesla mirrors not unfolding, it mostly happens due to decay or debris inside the mirror components. This causes the mirror mechanism to not operate and so the mirror doesn’t fold. To troubleshoot it, clean and lubricate the problematic mirror’s parts.
How To Fix:
Grab a reliable WD40 silicone spray to use in the mirror gaps. Now, let it soak for around 10 minutes to moisturize the rusty components in the mirror. Then, take a dry brush and simply clean the mirror components (if you can reach them).
Reason #4: Software Update Coming To Vehicle
The issues like Tesla Mirror Auto Fold not working usually happens when an update is expected to release in the future. You can easily fix the issue by resetting the car and waiting for the software update to install it on a touchscreen.
How To Fix:
- Do The 2 Buttons Reset – Use scroll buttons on the steering yoke for 10 seconds. After that, reboot the car and wait for the touchscreen to lighten up.
- Update The Latest Software – Go to Controls > Software > Update Available option and simply download the software remaining. After that, check whether the mirror folds automatically or not.
Reason #5: Wire Broken Or Blown Out Fuse
Tesla Model 3 mirrors not unfolding is a common issue that one can experience on other series (MX, MS, and MY). This occurs mainly due to broken wires or bad fuse. In case you want to fix it, just repair the wire, or change the fuse.
How To Fix:
- Locate the fuse box in the frunk and find the right fuse for the mirror. Then, search for brunt or brown marks. If the fuse contains these marks, then replace it ASAP.
- Next, check which side mirror isn’t working. If it’s left, open the left door or vice versa. Then, use the pry bar to open the trim panel from the door. After that, use a 10 mm locknut wrench to remove all the bolts that hold the door panel.
- Now, search for the wiring harness part on the bottom side near the Door Control Unit.
- From this unit, look for the left 2 antenna plugs (blue and red in shade). Then, find the baby blue wire (next to the large white wire) that power the unit.
- If you find the wire broken, then cut its tread to expose the conduct side. Next, connect the 2 conducts tightly and tape them. Then, use a wire cap to cover it perfectly. Lastly, reinstall all the parts.
Note: If your Tesla Model 3 side mirror stuck, the above method will fix the bug.
How To Replace Mirror In The Right Way?
If the mirror still shows issues even after trying the troubleshooting process, then it’s time to replace the part. Here’s how to do it yourself based on mirror type:
Changing Side Mirror
For Tesla mirror removal on the left or right side, power off your car. Then, open the door based on the problematic mirror side.
After that, use the pry bar and remove the speaker. During this, pull out the speaker wire piece so that it doesn’t fall out. Now, use your hand to remove the door panel as well as the soft cover that hides the bolts.
Get the right-size lockout wrench and simply remove the 3 bolts. Next, unplug the blue and red plugs from the Door Control Unit that gives power to the side mirror.
Then, use your hand and gently pull out the side mirror using a little strength. After that, insert the new side mirror into its place and push it to set properly.
Next, align the wire to the Door Control Unit and insert the 2 antenna (blue and red) plugs in the right spot. Put on all the bolts using the same tool and push the door panel to reinstall it.
After that, place the soft cover back in its place and attach the speaker near the side mirror. Then, reboot the car and check whether it works fine or not. Do the same thing to the other side if needed.
Changing Rearview Mirror
Start by, exposing the clip cover at the top in the rearview mirror and remove the tie that connects to this. Then, detach the electrical clip by pressing the tab downward with your hand.
After that, grab a microfiber towel and use a wrench or a pair of pliers to twist the rearview mirror housing to the left side. Remove the rearview mirror housing.
Next, use a pry bar to detach the top bracket. Bring the new rearview mirror and remove the bottom metal spring piece inside by detaching the Torx 10 mm long screw. Use a Philips head screwdriver to do it better.
Then, place the metal spring piece on the old spot and insert the screw in the middle to secure it. In the end, attach all the parts back to their place.
Changing Vanity Mirror
Firstly, use a pry bar to loosen out the little foam cover. Then, get a screwdriver and simply unbolt the one visible screw. After that, gently pull out the vanity mirror part.
Press the tabs to detach the little plug that holds the unit. Next, remove the vanity mirror and insert the new one. Then, insert the little plug and secure it.
Once you have done attaching the plug, align the vanity mirror part into the right spot and insert the screw. Next, tighten it out using the screwdriver and ensure the vanity mirror is placed rightly. Test it out!
Tesla mirror troubleshooting is easy if you can follow the instruction. As Tesla’s part are a little pricey, it can cost around $350 – $800 to repair mirrors (cost vary based on mirror type) in TSC. Hope you find this guide helpful to fix the mirror issue yourself!